The Vakkom Moulavi Foundation Trust (VMFT) was founded by the late, K.M.Bashir, a distinguished statistician by profession who belonged to the Indian Statistical Service and occupied responsible positions in the Government of India and later in the Bureau of Statistics, International Labour organization (Geneva) as a memorial to Vakkom Abdul Qadir Moulavi for his visionary services to the community and patriotic sacrifices for democratic values, civic rights and social justice for all people. The Foundation was conceived by him as a centre for excellence for learning and research, as a forum to address the social, economic, intellectual, cultural, educational, spiritual and philosophical problems of the people, as a vehicle for disseminating and using advances in science and technology for the benefit of society, as a training centre and as an instrument for promoting social justice and understanding and harmony among people.
- The Trust was inaugurated by Sri. E.K.Nayanar, Hon. Chief Minister, Kerala in June 1987
- The Foundation stone of the Trust Building was laid by His Excellency Justice Sukhdev Singh Kang, Governor of Kerala.
- The Building Complex was opened by Her Excellency Justice Fathima Beevi, Governor of Tamil Nadu in March 2001.
- The road from Law College Junction to VMFT Office was named as Vakkom Moulavi Road in September 2003 by the Trivandrum Corporation at a function attended by the Local Administration Minister Sri. Cherkkulam Abdullah and the City Mayor Prof. B. Chandra.
- Professor N.A.Karim Award for Outstanding Public Service – 2017
- K.M.Bashir Memorial Lecture – 2017 on March 2017
- Swadeshabhimani Media Study Centre and Young Journalist Club Activities
- Vakkom Moulavi Renaissance Study Centre Activities
- Resource Centre Development