K.M.BASHIR MEMORIAL LECTURES
- 16th April,08-XIIth KM Bashir Memorial Lecture by Mr. Prakash Karat. Topic- “The Role of The Left In Developing An Alternative In The Current Situation”. The speaker emphasized the need for a 3rd political friend as a viable alternative to the two main national friends. He highlighted the benefits the country would get from the formation of a 3rd front.
- 11th August,06 “Development In The Era Of Globalisation” K. M. Bashir Memorial Lecture delivered by Prof. Prabhat Patnaik, Vice Chairman, State Planning Board. The lecture emphasized the need for an equitable distribution of the results of development so that the people in the socio-economically disadvantaged sector would be benefited. Statistics on GDP and price indices can often be misleading in this respect.
- 9th May,05 “Turning Away The Begging Bowl: Examining India Continuing To Receive Development Assistance”. K. M. Bashir Memorial Lecture 2005, delivered by Dr. Mohan Gopal, Member, State Planning Board, The lecture highlighted the fact that India need not accept international assistance for development. On the contrary, India has reached a stage that enables her to extend help to other developing countries.
- 16th April,04 “Kerala’s Development Challenges In A Globalising WORLD” K. M. Bashir Memorial Lecture. By Dr. K. P. Kannan, Director, Centre for Development Studies, Trivandrum. The speaker concluded that globalization is a fact to reckon with and Kerala should strive to cope up with it which will be enormously advantageous to the State.
- 09th April,03 “Judiciary and Half A Century Of Indian Democracy” K. M. Bashir Memorial Lecture. By Padmasree Dr. N. R. Madhava Menon, Vice-Chancellor, West Bengal National University of Juridical Sciences. Dr. Menon, tracing the evolution of Indian judiciary and its relationship with the legislature and executive highlighted the point that India – probably the most liberal democracy in the world – will remain secular. Even parliament cannot amend the secular nature of this country.
- 27th July.01 “Whither Indian Education” Sixth K. M. Bashir Memorial Lecture by
Dr. K. N. Panicker, Vice chancellor, Sri Sankara University, Kalady.
- 26th August,95 “Economic Reforms-What Next?” K. M. Bashir Memorial Lecture by Dr. C. T. Kurien (the eminent Economist).
- 10th May,94 “Higher Education And Human Resource Development With Particular Reference to Science And Technology”Fourth K. M. Bashir Memorial Lecture by Prof. P. K. Iyengar (Chairman, Science and Technology, Environment and former Chairman, Atomic Energy Commission).
- 22nd May,93 “Secularism: A Historical Perspective” Third K. M. Bashir Memorial Lecture by Dr. Sarvepally Gopal.
- 14th March,92 “Secularism in India” Second K. M. Bashir Memorial Lecture and Commemorative Meeting. Lecture delivered by Sri. Salman Khurshid, the Hon. Union Minister. Sri Thalekkunnil Bashir (Ex MP) presided over the function. Sri. C. V. Padmarajan (Hon. Minister for Electricity), Haji K.B.A. Hameed I.A.S. (Retd) and Prof. V. K. Damodaran (Director, Science and technology department, Kerala) made the commemorative references. Sri. T. N. Jayachandran I.A.S. (Secretary, Higher Education) released the single volume edition of ‘Deepika’ of Vakkom Moulavi brought out by the VMFT presenting a copy to Haji S. Syed Khan, President Muslim Association, Thiruvananthapuram. Sri. Peer Mohammed (President M.E.S. Thiruvananthapuram) presented the K. M. Bashir Memorial Award to the first rank holders in M.sc (Statistics) of Kerala University for the academic year 1991-1992.
- 01st March,91 “The U.N.O and the Gulf Crisis” First K. M. Bashir Memorial Lecture and Commemorative Meeting. Lecture by Sri. K. Mohanan (Ex MP & Chairman, Kerala Press Academy). Commemorative speeches delivered by Dr. N. A. Karim, Dr. N. T. Mathew, Dr. P. K. Mohan and Dr. V.K. Damodaran.
Er. G. RADHKRISHNA PILLAI MEMORIAL LECTURES
- 6th July,08. Er. G. Radhakrishna Pillai Memorial Lecture: Topic, “Sustainable Energy Scenario for Kerala”. Lecture delivered by Prof. R. V. G. Menon. ~ Forty people attended the lecture. The lecture was followed by a lively session of interaction and discussion. This was the only program conducted by VMFT outside of the TRC during 2007
- 6thJuly,06 “Empowering People with Energy From Distributed Sources–Need For A Paradigm Shift In Planning Electric Power” Er. G. Radhakrishna Pillai Memorial Lecture by Prof. V. K. Damodaran, UNIDO Expert. The need to generate electricity from non-conventional sources was emphasised by the speaker
- 06 July,04 “Electricity Distribution Network–A Goldmine of Opportunities in the Internet Era” Er. G. Radhakrishna Pillai Memorial Lecture. Delivered by Er. N. T. Nair, Vice President (R&D), CMS Computers Ltd. The immense potential of the electricity transmission network in the field of Internet services were highlighted by the speaker.
- 06th July,03 “Power Sector Reforms” Er. G. Radhakrishna Pillai Memorial Lecture. By Mr. M. K. G. Pillai, Chairman, Electricity Regulatory Authority, Kerala. He allayed the fears in certain quarters about the trifurcation (generation, transmission and distribution) of the power utility and said these reforms will only enhance the efficiency of the system.